The majority of men older than 50 years will be affected by benign (non-cancerous) prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), better known as enlargement of the prostate. When the prostate gland enlarges, it presses on the urethra (the tube that transports urine and semen to the outside of the body). Even the smallest increase in the size of the prostate gland can cause urinary problems.
Typical symptoms are:
- Increased frequency-having to run to the bathroom more often
- Need to urinate several times during the night. Some men up as often as 4-6 times
- Sensation of needing to urinate immediately
- Dribbling urine, like a leaky faucet, or problems stopping urination
- Pain or burning sensation
- Unable to completely empty the bladder
- Urinary retention- unable to urinate at all. Then medical intervention is needed to release the urine and pressure
Plant sterols, particularly β-Sitosterol (beta-sitosterol), have been shown in numerous studies to decrease symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Clinical studies show that beta-sitosterol, a major component of Celt Naturals Immuno-Care®, is one of the most effective plant-derived options available for BPH. It can increase urinary flow and reduce frequent bathroom visits.
1. Klippel. Double-blind clinical trial of beta-sitosterol for BPH. Br J.Urol. 1997 Sep;80(3).